It is one of the most beneficial treatments in European Ayurveda®: The Abhyanga Massage puts you in a state of deep relaxation with gentle touches. Healing oil rids your skin of toxins and gives you a radiant complexion. Give yourself a gift by regularly caring for and massaging yourself with high-quality oils at home. Here you can learn everything you need to know for an Abhyanga self-massage!
Allow yourself time out, consciously turn your attention inward and bring body and soul into harmony: The self-care ritual of an Abhyanga self-massage does all that. This traditional massage technique is deeply rooted in the Ayurvedic and Indian healing arts.
Principles of Abhyanga massage
In contrast to other forms of massage, the Abhyanga massage is oriented to the energy pathways of the body, the nadis. These also play an important role in pulse diagnosis during your Ayurveda treatment at Sonnhof. The flow of energy is stimulated by specific massage strokes in order to allow the life energy (prana) to flow evenly throughout the entire body. Abhyanga not only has a relaxing effect, but also stimulates circulation and metabolism, calms the nervous system and promotes blood circulation.
A crucial aspect of the Abhyanga massage is the choice of massage oil. Usually, matured sesame oil is used, which penetrates deep into the skin, binds waste products in the cells and promotes their elimination from the body. In our EA® online store, you will find high-quality organic sesame oil as well as a range of special body oils that are tailored to your dosha.
Abhyanga for your dosha
Depending on your constitutional type, you can customize the Abhyanga self-massage: Vata types should pay particular attention to balancing, relaxing movements, while Pitta types benefit from stimulating pressure. Kaphas should be mindful of the soles of their feet during self-massage in order to achieve balance.
The art of self-massage
Since the Abhyanga self-massage has an activating and detoxifying effect, it is best to take a few minutes in the morning for your feel-good ritual. Afterwards, remove excess oil with a towel and start the day full of vitality!
- Preparation: Warm the massage oil of your choice between your palms. For a more intense effect, you can gently heat the oil to body temperature in a small pot. Spread a towel over a comfortable chair and take a seat!
- Head and neck: Pour some oil into your palms and spread it in a circular motion on the top of your head (crown chakra). Close your eyes, gently massage your head and ears and then smooth over the back of your neck. Tip: If you have to go to work after your ritual, massage your scalp without oil.
- Arms: Starting at the shoulder, use your right hand to massage your left arm with stroking movements down to the fingertips. Gently massage the inside of your hand. Repeat the massage on your right arm.
- Center of the body: Starting at the collarbones, circle downwards with both hands around your chest to your stomach. Massage your stomach in clockwise circles with a flat hand.
- Legs: Now massage over the hip joints with circular movements and then stroke one (the right) thigh with both hands. Stroke over your knee and lower leg. Circle around the inside and outside of the ankle. Take your foot in both hands and work your way forward along the back of your foot to your toes using small circular movements. Stroke the sole of your foot. Repeat the massage on the other (left) leg.
- Back: Stand up and massage your gluteal muscles with circular movements. Bend forward and massage your back with both hands along your spine up to your shoulder blades. Pull your hands forward again and place your palms on your heart. Straighten up again and sit down.
- Conclusion: Trace your self-massage. If you wish, stroke again over parts of the body that require your attention.
The Abhyanga self-massage is not only a physical benefit, it also brings you intensively in touch with your inner self. By taking this time for yourself, you not only care for your body, but also strengthen your inner balance. Treat yourself to regular loving care - your body and soul will thank you!
Would you prefer to be massaged by our team of experts at the European Ayurveda Resort Sonnhof? Book your Ayurveda massage now!